I didn't really want this whole blog to be about fertility stuff- but this is my life now.. so what do ya do?! I stole this "story" by an anonymous author off a friends blog- I don't think I could describe what I'm going through any better.
Deciding to have a baby is like planning a trip to Australia. You've heard it's a wonderful place. You've read many guidebooks and feel certain you're ready to go. Everyone you know has traveled there by plane. They say it can be a turbulent flight with occasional rough landings, but you look forward to being pampered on the trip.
So you go the the airport and ask the ticket agent for a ticket to Australia. All around you, excited people are boarding planes for Australia. It seems there is no seat for you, you'll have to wait for the next flight. Impatient, but anticipating a wonderful trip, you wait, and wait, and wait.
Flights to Australia come and go. People say silly things like, "Relax, You'll get on a flight soon.: Other people actually get on a plane and then cancel their trip, to which you cry, "It's not fair!"
After a long time the ticket agent tells you, "I'm sorry, we're not going to be able to get you on a plane to Australia. Perhaps you should think about going by boat."
"By boat!", you say, "Going by boat will take a very long time and costs a great deal of money. I really had my heart set on going by plane." So you go home and think about not going to Australia at all. You wonder if Australia will be as beautiful if you approach it by sea rather than by air. But you have long dreamed of this wonderful place, and finally you decide to travel by boat.
It is a long trip, many months over many rough seas. No one pampers you. You wonder if you will ever see Australia. Meanwhile, your friends have flown back and forth to Australia two or three times, marveling about each trip.
Then one glorious day, the boat docks in Australia. It is more exquisite than you ever imagined and the beauty is magnified by your long days at sea. You have made many wonderful friends during the voyage, and you find yourself comparing stories with others who also traveled by sea rather than by air.
People continue to fly to Australia as often as they like, but you are able to travel only once, perhaps twice. Some say things like, "Oh be glad you didn't fly. My flight was horrible, traveling by sea is so easy." You will always wonder what it would have been like to fly to Australia. Still, you know God blessed you with a special appreciation of Australia, and the beauty is not in the way you get there but in the place itself.
Andy and I were clearly planning on flying.. doesn't everyone? The boat ride IS rough. Waves are always crashing. I feel sick (physically and emotionally). I'm tired. Sometimes I just wish I could get on the stupid plane. But God has called us to go by boat- so that's how we're going.
6.08.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
miss you, Ash!! I love that you have a blog now.. I feel like we've caught up a little already! praying for you and Andy. I know that travelling by boat isn't fun or easy. Trusting that the Lord has great plans and babies in store for yall. You are going to be a GREAT mom!
ps. Ashley Mac's must be booming!! I had no idea your little company had gotten so BIG! Congrats! :)
I'll be the FIRST to tell you that traveling by boat STINKS, especially when you get on and you think things are going fine and you have to get off the boat just a few weeks later. I dread boarding that stupid boat again, but I want SO badly to be in Australia. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, all your mind, and all your soul. Sustaining grace.
Praying for you.
hey ashley! just wanted to say THANK YOU for calling this weekend-Sunday was great, and we were so thankful to get to meet your great small group. we'll be praying for y'all on this tough journey - a friend going through the same thing called it (like paul) the thorn in her side - her weakness where God's power is made known. He is using y'all - hang in there!
can't wait to hang out again soon...
the comptons
What a great illustration. And yes I agree, the boat rides that I have been on are very rough but once they ended and I got off, it was a wonderful place. Hang in there. I'm Praying for you!
Ash! I'm such a blog lurker, so I thought I should probably comment! I love knowing what's going on in your life and we'll be praying for y'all! Was thinking about you and Becca this morning because Levy (do you remember her?) emailed me yesterday out of the blue. I hadn't talked to her in several years! And congrats on Ashley Mac's....I still need to stop in and say hi next time I'm in B'ham!
ashley- it was so good to see you on saturday. my heart aches for you and andy as you travel down this road. i pray that God will sustain you each day and give you grace to continue trusting in Him and his goodness and love toward you.
praying. hoping. expecting great things with you...
I LOVE YOU!
Just found your blog off of Shea's. What a PERFECT illustration! You guys are in our prayers all the time. Call if you ever need to talk :)
Love ya
Wow Ashley! Thanks for being so open about your journey. It really helps others know how to pray for you! You have been so strong through all of this and I pray that God will continue to give you more and more strength as the days go by. There are awesome things ahead for you and Andy. I can't wait to see what God has in store for ya'll!! Love, Susan
Post a Comment