8.09.2009

Labor Story

Warning this is long so skip down to picture posts if you aren't intersted in the labor part(:

Sorry, first chance I've had to sit down and write how it all happened....I'll try and do all the details since many of you had asked...back up 2 weeks ago from today- Sunday, July 26th. I woke up at 3:30am with contractions (which felt like bad period cramps) and couldn't go back to sleep. Then I started bleeding at 5:30am (sorry if TMI). Called doc just so she would know and she said if it ever got red to call her back. Called her back at 9am and said it was red and said "do you want to come in and get checked?"...and knowing from my friends (and reading) that this was probably just early labor symptoms I said "no I'll just wait"- but she wanted me to monitor the bleeding in case it got heavier to call her back... so called her back at 7:45 that night to let her know I had been bleeding all day and she wanted to check me..we go in and I'm in the worst mood because we were going to have to pay $175 copay just to get checked and I KNEW this wasn't time..but then in the back of my head I was thinking if something was wrong I would never forgive myself since the doc recommended I come in..so, we were in L&D for 2.5hrs that night....still having some hard contractions but they weren't regular and they checked the baby etc and everything was ok. Soooo, the next morning I had my regular weekly appt scheduled for 8:45am. I almost didn't even go in since I wasn't dialted at all the night before. But, I went and to my shock was already 3cm. The dr. said since I had progressed to 3cm overnight and I was having regular contractions that I was well on my way! So, she immediately sent me down to L&D. My mom was with me and Andy was at work. So I called Andy and he didn't believe me at first..but after convincing him that I was serious he wrapped some things up at work and headed home to get our bags etc. Meanwhile, I was checked into L&D, texted a bunch of friends, and many of them ended up coming up to visit since I was just chilling and getting fluids until the dr came in to break my water. So, for about 30 minutes I had 5 of my closest friends (and several of their kids) in the room with me...it was quite a sight for the docs and nurses! I'm sure they thought I was crazy. But I was loving the company. Eventually Andy made it up there just in time for them to break my water. Then the REAL contractions started...those lasted for about 45 minutes and then the doc came in and said "lets go ahead and get your epidural" and I was like "are you serious? that's all the pain I have to go through?"!!! The anethesiolgist came right in and he was amazing.. hardly felt a thing! Then...it was heaven...ahhhhh, seriously, I could be addicted to epidurals if they gave them away on the street! It was the most relaxing thing EVER!!! Anyone who came in after that saw a very happy Ashley! Next thing I know the nurse is telling me "time to push"! once again, I was like "are you serious? already time?" I pushed REALLY HARD for about 45 minutes as I was determined to get this baby out as fast as possible (not because I was in pain but because I was dying to see my little boy!) Then all of the sudden I hear Andy say "oh my gosh is that his head!" Next thing I know there is a baby laying on my chest and it truly was love at first sight! (although it was much better once they cleaned him up!) I did "kangaroo care" for about 30 minutes. If you haven't heard of that, it's basically just skin to skin contact with the mom and baby during the first 24 hrs of birth. They recommend doing it as often as possible. It's really amazing..they say it helps regulate their body temperature and helps with bonding etc. We still do it sometimes and it's my favorite. Well, I think that's it!

MANY NEW POSTS BELOW!!!!!

3 comments:

Heath and Nikki said...

Thanks for the details since we missed all of the excitement :) I love that you are keeping up your blog! He is sooo precious!

Kimmie said...

love all the new pics! he is precious and i can't wait to come see him again. i know you are loving being a mommy!! you are a great one i'm sure!

Heather said...

ASHLEY!
I'm so glad I found your blog! Your mom sent pics of sweet Ryder shortly after he was born and let me just say, He is beautiful!!! You are a radiant mom and we are sooo very happy for you and your family! Praying God's blessings over all of you! Enjoy these precious days...they go way too fast!
P.S. Is "Cookie" loving being a grandma? SHe's got to be the best ever!:)Tell her hello for me!