2.01.2010

Rekindled love....

for Cooking! 2010 has brought some new inspiration in my culinary world. After starting Ashley Mac's (originally "A Taste of Birmingham") over 4 years ago, I found myself in a cooking rut...you would think developing over 100 recipes for the business would not stifle my passion for cooking, but the mechanics of it got in the way I guess. So, thanks to encouragement from my friend Noelle, we have started cooking through the Barefoot Contessa's cookbooks, keeping recipe journals, and emailing daily about our experiences...and let me just say, I am having a BLAST! I am learning so many things about French cooking and am enjoying purchasing really fine ingredients like Truffle Butter,Fleur de Sel, really good olive oil, and fabulous cheeses....not easy on the budget,but since it's my hobby, career, and a basic neccessity for life all rolled into one, it's easy for me to justify! Needless to say, Andy's enjoying all of my experimenting...Truffled Beef Tenderloin on a Tuesday night, Pappa Al Pomodoro on a rainy Thursday... Why not?!!! I can't wait to incorporate some new things into Ashley Mac's! I thought I would share on the blog knowing that many of you love to cook as well..Jennie B, Julia P, and Aunt Anne particuarly!

Pics Below:
-I've been searching for the perfect pie crust and Ina's was quite delicious!
-Lauren and I working at a Charity Event for VSA Arts of Alabama
-Barefoot Contessa's Chicken Stock...one of the best I've tried! I made 2 huge pots and was able to freeze 5 quarts and 6 cups of chicken- so fun to pull out homemade stock to whip up a fabulous meal.
-Last pic was judging a pie competition at The Birmingham Bake and Cook Co(I wouldn't call myself a pie connoisseur but I sure did have fun tasting over 25 pies!)




4 comments:

Kimmie said...

yummy. can you share with us some of your favorite recipes??

Deb said...

Um...since Will and I have been around since the beginning, I would just like to re-offer our services of being your taste testers. It is really no inconvenience or burden to us, so please feel free to take us up on this offer. :)

Ashley said...

Kimmie- I linked the Papa Al Pomodoro soup on there so you can click on it and it will take you to the recipe..it's an authentic italian tomato soup and is really good! I'll pass on some more too!
Deb, I guess I can drag y'all over here to critique the food, only if you think Will won't mind? ha!

Maggie Pelton said...

SO fun!! I've been wanting to get an Ina cookbook for forever, but just never have. I love her. I think you've motivated me to do it.

I dont even have a clue where I would get truffle butter around here. I'd have to drive up to Atl.