3.24.2011

All things FOOD....

If you don't like to cook...or eat....you might not enjoy this post. But if you do like one or the other (or very passionately love both like me!) then hopefully you'll enjoy.

I am so thankful that over the past few months my job has grown into doing mostly things I love to do- one of the main things being recipe research and development. It continues to amaze me how long of a process it is to write/find a new recipe to getting it on the menu. But I've come to embrace it now that I feel like I have the time to dedicate to it. In the first few years of Ashley Mac's I would literally stick stuff on the menu without knowing how much I was going to charge or where I was going to purchase all my ingredients from etc! Yes, I flew by the seat of my pants mostly and somehow landed on my feet (by God's grace). Thankfully it is now a much more structured process! Anyway, on to the good stuff...I'll try to link a recipe when I mention ones I've made or if there isn't one on here that you would like leave me a comment and I can get it to you.

Lately I've been on a quest to make a Gourmet Mac N Cheese (we have a basic/creamy/southern/great for kids one right now but I want to add another one. I have probably made about 7 different ones over the past few months and I"m finally getting close to perfection (my version of it anyways!). I thought I had "it" the other night but I want to make a small change and try again. Anyways, I started with Frank Stitt's Recipe (from Bottega Favorita) and then made Giada's and have been coming up with my own version between those two. Tricky thing is trying to make a profit on it because I literally spend over $20 in cheese just to make a 9x13 of Giadas....which I have to say was worth it because good cheese does in fact make good mac n cheese.

I've also been looking for the perfect caramel cake....anyone have a good recipe they want to share? The good old fashioned 4-7 layer ones with the kind of gritty like boiled caramel icing that you have to spread so fast because it gets hard.I've made one that is close to what I want but I'm going to have to spend some time tweaking it and figuring out how to make a huge batch of it.

Also on the search for some amazing breakfast items- we cater breakfast now, but don't serve it in our Cafe. But that will change this summer as we are going to start serving breakfast from 6-10:30am. My vision is an upscale (fresh, but simple) breakfast at an affordable price. With a very small and basic menu. Muffins (which I've been testing out the wazoo...as you can see below Ryder doesn't mind licking the batter), some savory Souffle/Tarts, scones with whipped cream, etc. If you have any ideas pass them on! My dear friend and fabulous cook, Noelle, has given me some great ideas from her hot spots in LA- We are heading out that way on a "research trip" pretty soon!

And then there is the every night dinner....Just wanted to throw out some of our favorites in case your looking for something new (and please share yours too!) My lastest thing is that I love to cook one night and re-use a portion of it for another night in the week. Example, we grilled Steaks the other night so I got Andy to throw on some chicken breasts which I used 2 nights later on the pioneer woman's Barbeque Chicken Pizza.
Her crust is pretty good but I prefer Frank Stitt's pizza dough (and his is actually only one rise so takes about an hour less than the PW). If you would like his recipe let me know and I'll email it to you. It has whole wheat flour and the outside gets crusty..yummy! It bakes perfect on a silpat if you have one!

Below are "Browned Butter Parker House Rolls" which were good but I need to make a few more times before I post the recipe because I had to play around with it a little and I think it could be better. Anyone have an amazing roll recipe they want to share?


Below is
Giada's Mac N Cheese- I added a few eggs to make it a little thicker. I have also made it with party Sharp Cheddar and Fontina. I love the way the chopped parsley looks on top. And the noodles on top get nice and crunchy.


More bread....I really need some serious work on my bread making skills. I ALWAYS have to add more flour than the recipe calles for (no matter what kind of bread, rolls, pizza dough I am making. Most of the time it still turns out but I'm beginning to think I'm doing something wrong unless every bread recipe published is wrong! ha! Again, if you have any go to bread recipes send them my way!


Below are my mom's coriander-pepper pork chops. They are FABULOUS! And such a nice change from chicken.
4 boneless pork chops (or sometimes I like to use bone-in)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 TBS crushed coriander seeds (it would be nice to have a mortar and pestle for this but I put them in a plastic bag and beat it with a hammer(:
1 TBS brown sugar
3 TBS soy sauce
Combine all ingredients. Pour over chops and let marinate for 30 minutes. Grill.
(last time I made this I couldn't find the recipe and I added about 2 TBS olive oil and a TBS of browned butter and we liked them even better....Butter=better)



Other favorites are : (all of these should come up on google except for Frank Stitt's)
-Barefoot Contessa Roasted Chicken
-BC Lobster Paella (although I use shrimp and sausage)
-BC French Onion Soup (which I like to save the leftovers and use it in my oven Jambayla (can email that recipe if you want it)
-Shrimp Tostado's (bake tortilla's in oven directly on rack at 350 until crunchy, top with yellow rice, black beans, sauteed shrimp, shredded cheese, avacado, sour cream, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes....one of our favorites)
-BC Sole Meuniere (although I usually use Tilapia since it's cheaper)
-Frank Stitt's Chicken Scallopine with White Wine reduction sauce
-Pioneer Woman's Salsa (my favorite....and so easy...especially in the food processor!)
-Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls
- Smitten Kitchen Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- BC Chicken Stock and Seafood Stock (both really easy and freeze for months)

I so admire all the real food bloggers out there. I don't have the patience to take pictures of every step when I'm cooking...nor the patience to write down everything I'm doing in order to give people an accurate recipe! I'm sorry, I had every intention of typing out more recipes but running out of time! Once again, happy to send any your way- just let me know! Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Hey I have an amazing recipe from Barbara Smith, Cristy's mom. It's in her cookbook. I get it for you!