If you haven't heard of Laura Black (a mom of 3 from Briarwood that is dying of cancer) you have to check out her caring bridge site. Her journal entries are absolutely incredible. She writes letters to her kids and...wow.....just go read.
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lblack/journal
One of my dear friends from college started a company/website called Shepherd My Child. It's all about how to intertwine the Gospel of Grace in EVERYTHING with your children. She's an incredible writer and her website also points to many books and resources for us to use with our children.
http://shepherdmychild.com/
Finally, I just read the best "parenting" book....if you even call it that....I think the Lord used it just as much to teach me of my constant need for His Grace as it did about how to teach that to my kids. Seriously, I wouldn't say this about just any book but I am SO SO thankful to have read this while my kids are still young...so many profound but also practical points. It's not a "5 steps to how to raise your kids to be good kids book". I love this quote from it: "We hinder our children from coming to Him when we inadvertently teach them that the good news is meant for good people". I've already started to change the way I phrase things to Ryder. Instead of "Ryder, you are being such a good boy" I say "Ryder, wasn't it so kind of Jesus to help you be obedient today!" Or even with potty training we'll say "Ryder we are so proud of you! No accidents today! But you know even when you have accidents we're still proud of you because you are our son and we love you no matter what" etc etc. Things that we all know to be true but I don't always choose to take the time to speak in that way. It's so neat to see how God changes my own heart and I see my own need for the gospel as I'm trying to teach my 3 year old.
"Give Them Grace by Elyse M Fitzgerald and Jessica Thompson
http://www.amazon.com/Give-Them-Grace-Dazzling-Jesus/dp/1433520095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339897847&sr=8-1&keywords=give+them+grace
6.16.2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Loved that you finished the give them grace book... Changed my entire thinking about how I respond to my kids.
Ash - I just now realized that you plugged "Shepherd My Child" - thank you so, so much! You are so sweet!!! I also read through some of the journals from Laura Black and saw where she finished her battle with cancer. Wow - what a legacy she has left. Her entries were incredible to read - I even passed along one to my sister-in-law. And finally, we are way overdue on a phone call - I think we were supposed to chat about Give Them Grace like a month ago!!! What a great book!!! Let's catch up soon! Luv ya!
Post a Comment