So, I've now had 2 showers and one more to go....trying to figure out all this stuff this child's gonna require...they sure are high maintenance! I need some help....if you have time let me know if you have any thoughts or opinions on the following:
1. Anything you couldn't live without and/or your favorite baby gadget etc?
2. Video monitor....I got a brand called "summer" that I had registered for...is that a good one? I didn't do any research on them and there were tons to choose from so I just registered for one I thought looked good.
3. Anything you got that you ended up not really using?
4. Do I need to go buy all the baby lotions, detergent, shampoo's etc before he gets here?
5. Anything else you did to get ready for your child that you were so glad you did? I haven't had time to "nest"...but I was going to schedule some days to attempt that...ha!
******two more new posts below*******
6.17.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





11 comments:
We have a Summer brand baby monitor and I absolutely LOVE it. I wanted one for Harper too (because we still use the one we have for Cohen), but I could not justify spending that much money on another monitor.
I LOVE my Summer video monitor!!! It's not perfect but it is so nice to have! I got it with Ellie Kate and since I was so spoiled with that I ordered another camera part so I can now see both of them on my one monitor (I just switch between channels). I would go ahead and buy some lotion, baby wash, and detergent. It's nice to have everything ready to go because after the baby comes, things are a little crazy! The main thing besides the monitor that I could not have made it without is the bouncy seat. Neither of my girls really cared for the swing, but they loved the bouncy seat and even slept in that thing many a nap and nights because of their acid reflux.
I'm so sad I missed your shower! I have a gift that I need to get in the mail to you:)
Ashley, check out my blog as I just did a post of a few products that I can't live without (www.chadandjanamartin.blogspot.com). I agree on the bounce seat. We have been using it(but not turning the vibrate on yet) since day 1. Your baby boy will be here before you know it. I would buy everything before hand as trips outside of the house are MUCH harder after the baby arrives. You an always return it if you don't use it.
Hey Ashley! There are a few things we use daily. The Boppy Lounger had been great! Owen was colic and he seemed to be much more comfortable laying on this to eat than being held. Also I highly recommend a travel swing. We have a big swing too but it is nice to take the travel one out on the patio, to a friend's house for dinner, even in the bathroom while you shower. I could probaby name several other things too but these just stick out in my mind. As far as buying stuff- go ahead and do it now. You will not want to get out and deal with that for awhile after he comes. :) Congrats again! You will love being a mommy!
I thought of one more thing...the Miracle Blanket for swaddling. It works better than any other swaddling blanket. Look on the Selma post of my blog and there is a link to their website. Hope you are feeling great- not too much longer!
girls,
thanks so much for all the advice!!! I will definitely use it!
You are so fun that you posted this. I wish I had a video monitor! HAVE TO HAVE A NOISE MAKER. No joke. It is my life saver. I crank them up in both kids rooms and can do whatever while they nap. I seriously used to lay on the couch and not move while Maggie was napping. As for lotions and soaps, I would just get a bottle of head to toe wash and unscented lotion, Aveeno Baby is great. Both kids have loved the acivity play mat thing. We have the baby einstein one, but any would do. Have to have a bumbo. I didn't use the exersauser with Maggie, big waste of space and money, but now with NI, it's been great, I can sit him in it and M can play with him while I cook, clean, etc... Oh, on the swing/no swing thing. Everyone told me not to get one, but it was the ONLY thing that made Maggie calm down and sleep for the first several weeks. That's a hard one bc they are expensive but if nothing else works it's nice to have one already on hand. Maybe a consignment store if you're not sure you're going to use/love it. We didn't/still dont use a boucy seat. Definitely get a couple of Swaddle things and a sleep positioner. Things that I pretty much think are useless are a boppy (cute but really after a couple of weeks, you won't need it to nurse and there are so many other things to sit the baby up in/by), a high chair (I don't have room for one, I feed in the bumbo then move to a booster).
We love the Summer video monitor. Found that it won't hold a charge the whole night long sometimes so I keep it plugged in. Also, a friend let me borrow a Moby Wrap and I've loved it! MA likes it a lot better than the baby bjorn. My friend actually made it. It's 5.5 yards of 95%+ cotton jersey knit (that will make 3 moby wraps, cut in equal thirds). And you don't have to hem the edge. Check out the website for directions (http://www.mobywrap.com/t-instructions.aspx) on how to use it. We've also LOVED the Aiden and Anais muslin swaddling blankets. Can't wait to see pics of Ryder! Take care :)
1. Couldn't live without the Miracle Blanket. You can find them at Storkland. It the greatest swaddler out there!
2. We used Dreft for Callahan, but decided it was pointless for Evans. We use detergent that is free and clear of dyes and fragrances anyway. I prefer baby lotions with out fragrances because Jim and I both have sensitive skin.
3. We only have a standard monitor, but I have always thought about getting one with video. Just because sometimes I wish I could just watch Callahan while she sleeps. She's always been an easily startled child, wakes up at the littlest noise. We have to run a fan in her room for a little white noise. Evans seems to be VERY different. He seems to sleep through just about anything! I'm very thankful.
4. Oh we really like the sleep sheep too. It has a heartbeat and wave noise that Callahan always liked.
I think that's it. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.
Oh on a side note. Be sure you have a few tubes of unscented petroleum jelly on hand. You'll go through A LOT with Ryder! That's something that we didn't have to go through with Callahan:)
The video monitor will be your best friend! I also couldn't live without my bouncy seat. And I saw that Margaret mentioned it so I am going to echo her: The miracle blanket is true to it's name!!! I love mine and I wish I had had for my first two kids!! Aveeno baby products are great and I would go ahead and have some on hand. All my kids had/have dry skin and they are very gentle products. I didn't use special detergent, but that is just a personal preference.
Ash I'll talk to you soon, but the monitor is excellent b/c you can see them before going in and risk really waking them. Babies squirm and sometimes wake themseves, cry a little and sleep some more. This way you can give time before you freak out wondering what's wrong. Also the boppy bouncer is fabulous. Eva will just sit in it and talk and stare. It also fits in my tiny bathroom so that is good for when you're home alone. Go ahead and have some mylicon for gas and gripe water. I swear it is a miracle for hiccups. They say babies don't mind them but Eva hates them!! Lastly I have to ditto the swaddlers. I personally love the sleep sack because you can dettach the wrap part and they don't get so hot with so many layers. I'll show you! I'm sure there's more. I just can't wait to meet him!!!!
Post a Comment